for Asian Art
JOIN - How to Subscribe to the an4aa Listserv/Email Mailing List:
This guide provides an overview of how to join or leave the Australasian Network for Asian Art mailing list. Please note that the mailing list operates through Google Groups, so you must have either:
a Google-based email account (i.e. a gmail account); or
a Google Account linked to your preferred email address. Keep in mind that many .edu email accounts are already Google integrated (i.e. act like gmail).
Joining Using a Google-based Account
(1) Sign into your preferred gmail account on your browser.
(2) Visit our Google Groups Page
(3) On the main page, you will see the welcome message, the most recent posts, and (if you are signed in to your account) the blue text “Ask to join group” button at the top. Click the “Ask to join group” button
CAREFUL: If you maintain multiple gmail or Google accounts, you may accidentally apply to the group with a different account than your preferred one.
Before you click “Ask to join group,” check which Google account you are logged into by looking to the upper right-hand corner of the screen. If you click the letter within a circle or rounded rectangle (the shape may differ based on whether your email is a private one or one associated with an organisation’s domain), you will be able to see which mail profile you are currently logged into. If you would prefer to join using a different email profile, first click the preferred profile from your list, then proceed with the steps above.
(4) A window will pop up asking you to confirm basic information, such as your email, how you would like your name displayed on posts, your interest in the group, and how you prefer to receive emails.
In this window, click the small arrow after “Subscription” to reveal your options (capable of being changed later) to either receive no emails, a daily digest of emails, a combined update, or daily emails as they arrive.
Setting up a (non-gmail) Google Account
If you do not have a gmail/Google email account or don’t want to use a gmail/Google email account, you will need to create a Google account that links to the email of your choice. To do this:
(1) Visit Create you Google Account
(2) Click on “Create Account” —> “For Myself”
(3) Click on “Use my current email address instead”
(4) Fill in your First and Last name, the email address that you want to use with the group, and a password. Then follow the additional steps that Google requires to set-up the account.
(5) Go back to the top of this page and follow the instructions for Joining Using a Google Based Account.
This procedure should allow you to use your usual (non-Google) email to create an account profile capable of being used to join the mailing list.
If you still encounter problems after attempting this method, please email the moderators and ask to be directly added to the group, providing a brief statement of your interest in the group and your preferred email address.
I don't use gmail and I don't want to link my email to Google. Can I still get join?
Yes. There is a work around. It requires a couple steps.
(1) Create a new gmail account. The account will be a dummy account. Please feel free to use whatever name/details you want in it.
(2) Using this new gmail account, join the listserv per the instructions above ("Joining using a Google based account")
(3) Set the new gmail account to forward all email to your preferred email address. Instructions on how to set up automatic forwarding are as follows (copied from the google help site):
On your computer, open Gmail using the account you want to forward messages from. You can only forward messages for a single Gmail address, and not an email group or alias.
In the top right, click Settings See all settings.
Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
In the "Forwarding" section, click Add a forwarding address.
Enter the email address you want to forward messages to.
Click Next Proceed OK.
A verification message will be sent to that address. Click the verification link in that message.
Go back to the settings page for the Gmail account you want to forward messages from, and refresh your browser.
Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
In the "Forwarding" section, select Forward a copy of incoming mail to.
Choose what you want to happen with the Gmail copy of your emails. We recommend Keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox.
At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
Unsubscribing from the List
To remove yourself from the mailing list, there are two options available:
(1) Send a blank email to email@example.com
(2) Go to Google Groups and click “My Groups.” Click the icon to the right of your subscribed groups
NOTE: If you try to unsubscribe but encounter a problem, double check that you are logged into the correct account (the one you subscribed with). See instructions above about switching account profiles. Also double check whether the emails are being forwarded to your current email from another address (which may actually be the one you subscribed with). If you continue to receive emails, check to see if you are not signed up for the group with more than one email address.
This guide was created by M Erdmann, 2022 with help from Paula R. Curtis of the Premodern Japanese Studies (PMJS) listserv. Not for reproduction or distribution without permission.